Six Day Project
Save the date!
Our next Six Day Project is October 2-7, 2023 in the Cooley Community!
Our 2023 Six Day Project will take place in the community surrounding Cooley High School, in an approximately 4.5-square mile area from Monday – Saturday, October 2-7 from 11-5 p.m. each day.
- 11-11:45 a.m. // Arrive at Cooley High School & board buses to command centers
- 12-4 p.m. // Blight removal and beautification on assigned block
- 4-5 p.m. // Volunteer wrap-up event at Cooley High School
ABOUT THIS YEAR’S PROJECT:
We’ve added some exciting elements that make our Six Day Project in the Cooley Community the most impactful we’ve ever done. In addition to mowing and trimming overgrown brush and weeds on vacant properties, we will also provide free lawn care services for Cooley Community residents. This greatly increases the level of interaction between community residents, students, and our volunteers who live outside the Cooley Community.
We also plan to provide a limited number of homes near Cooley High School with increased services to upgrade their curb appeal, which may include options such as providing potted plants, removing unwanted bushes, and painting house numbers on curbs.
Lastly, every night of the Six Day Project except Saturday, we will host events to engage community members and all volunteers in meaningful relational interactions with one another. Under a gigantic tent located on the Cooley High School property, together we’ll enjoy snacks, drinks and music from 4-5 p.m . Each evening will be led by a different Cooley Community organization.
We are capping the number of volunteers at 1,000 per day maximum, so it is important you let us know which day(s) you want to volunteer and how many volunteers you will mobilize per day. This year, we are asking for groups of volunteers to sign-up for the project. If you are an individual who is interested in helping with the project, please contact Audrey at email@example.com.
- Volunteers will arrive at the former Cooley High School (15055 Hubbell Ave, Detroit, MI 48227) between 11-11:30 a.m. Volunteers will then board shuttle buses that will transport them to Command Centers throughout the neighborhood.
- Upon arrival at the Command Center, volunteers will receive their volunteer assignment as well as all the tools (mowers, weed whips, loppers, rakes, trash bags, etc.) and then will walk to their location.
- Volunteers should bring their own work gloves and protective eyewear/sunglasses. Water is provided, but we advise groups and individuals to bring extra water as well as snacks if needed.
- At the end of your shift, volunteers return their equipment to the Command Center and are bussed back to Cooley High School to participate in the after-party event and then return to their vehicles.
- Every participant must sign a digital waiver and wear the volunteer shirt provided by Life Remodeled in order to participate.
- Additional details to be provided upon registration.
If you have any other questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please note that if you are a member of a group that has a group leader who has already registered, you do not need to complete this form. This year, we are asking for groups of volunteers to sign-up for the project. If you are an individual who is interested in helping with the project, please contact Audrey at email@example.com.)
Our 2022 Six Day Project was held October 3-8, 2021. This past year, we had over 5,000 volunteers register! We busted blight on vacant properties and mowed over 400 lawns of residents, delivered 2,000 freshly potted mums, donated and installed 100 Ring video doorbells, and painted addresses on curbs.
Since 2014, Life Remodeled has invested $43.5 million into four Detroit neighborhoods. We’ve beautified 2,076 blocks, repaired 194 homes, boarded up 2,062 houses and engaged 77,020 volunteers.